The current house has an array of floors, some of which have not been touched since the 19th century. Gresley Hall is seeped in history and long family ties... it is also home to some sad and rather gruesome tales of lives lost, both young and old.
The house is reputed to have been built in 1556 for Sir Christopher Alleyn out of the materials of the demolished Gresley Priory which was constructed sometime in the 1200s. However, the present building is dated 1664.
In the mid 18th century the house had an estate of 600 acres and was set in a fenced park, but in 1789 the house was said to be in a fast state of decay and the property was subsequently dismembered for coal mining, the house tenanted as a farm and the outbuildings converted for use as a pottery in 194. It then lay derelict for some time before being purchased by a miner's welfare club in 1953.
A tunnel from the hall was found by miners, heading towards Gresley church however, the tunnel had collapsed
Poltergeist activity has been reported, a full apparition of a lady, a young boy likes to play up in the bedrooms, shadow people, a blocked off room where a girl burned to death, cold draughts flowing down the stairs and reports of being touched on the head on the same stairs are but a few of the increasing paranormal occurrences witnessed here at Gresley Hall. The contrast from the downstairs where the base room is located with heating and electricity to the dark, cold dank rooms upstairs is quite a shock. We love Gresley Hall, its a small location that has many rooms and uneven floors combined with a creepy attic where the greatest amount of paranormal activity seems to occur.